May is an exciting time in Kentucky. The weather finally starts to level out and the smell of freshly cut grass is in the air.
That’s not all, as Kentucky is blessed to have hosted the Kentucky Derby for 149 years.
Here are some interesting facts that happened 149 years ago, in 1875.
- Ulysses S. Grant was the President of the United States.
- Two American colleges play each other in arguably the first game of College Football: Tufts University and Harvard University at Jarvis Field in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Billy the Kid escapes jail in Silver City.
Maybe the most important holiday in May is Mother’s Day. None of us would be here without our mothers.
Finally, we salute the men and women who have served and died for our country. Memorial Day is always the last Monday in May and this year, it is on the 29th.
- The official sponsor of the Kentucky Derby, Woodford Reserve is perfect for Mint Juleps, Old Fashioned, or just drinking neat.
- Distilled by Silverback Distillery, a mother-daughter-run small-batch spirits company. I can think of no way better to honor moms across the world than by having a toast with a family ran distillery.
Horse Solider Bourbon
- Owned and operated by former Green Berets, that were the United States’ “tip of the spear” after 9/11. This legendary act of bravery has been memorialized in New York City with a Horse Solider statue. Buy a bottle and take a sip for every armed forces person that lost their life in service to our country.
Click here for more Original Pours.