Wilderness Trail Distillery, a Danville, Kentucky distillery to be acquired by Campari for $600 million. The distillery was launched in 2012 with a focus on making premium bourbon. 

Campari will purchase an initial 70% of the Kentucky-based distiller for $420 million. Then the company plans to acquire the remaining 30% by 2031. The deal price implies an enterprise value of $600 million.

In a statement, Shane Baker and Dr. Pat Heist, co-founders of Wilderness Trail Distillery, said: “Premium bourbon and rye whiskies and state-of-the-art production facilities coupled with worldwide distribution, first class marketing and expertise across multiple spirit categories provide the perfect foundation for the continued success of the Wilderness Trail brand and ensure it will be enjoyed around the world for years to come. This is a win-win situation for both parties and we are very proud of this partnership and what we can achieve together with our shared vision.”

This is not Campari Group’s first acquisition of a bourbon company.  Campari acquired the Wild Turkey brand and distillery in 2009.

Most recently, Campari acquired an initial minority interest with a path to control in Howler Head Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey in August.

Bob Kunze-Concewitz, CEO of Campari Group, said: ‘By adding the fast-growing Wilderness Trail brand, we further expand our premium bourbon offering, priming it to become Campari Group’s second major leg after the aperitif portfolio. In addition, we have the opportunity to significantly expand our production capacity and aging inventory to satisfy the future growth of our premium bourbons.”

Click here to sign up for The Bourbon Flight Newsletter.
Click here to join The Flight Club
COO/CFO Creator of The Bourbon Flight | + posts