- 2 ounces bourbon
- 2 tablespoons sorghum syrup, cane syrup, molasses or honey
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces vanilla wafer cookies (about 60 wafers)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Whisk together the bourbon and sorghum syrup in a small bowl until well combined.
In a large bowl, sift together 1 cup of the powdered sugar with the cocoa powder, cayenne, cinnamon, mace and salt.
Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir the bourbon mixture into the dry mixture until smooth, glossy paste forms.
In a food processor, pulse the vanilla wafers into fine crumbs, about 10 (5-second) pulses.
Add the wafer crumbs and pecans to the bourbon mixture and stir until consistently doughy and workable, about 2 minutes.
Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Place the remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar in a shallow bowl or a plate. Roll each ball in the powdered sugar, then place it on a sheet of waxed paper.
Store in the refrigerator in a container with a tight-fitting lid, with a sheet of waxed paper between layers, for up to 4 days.
The balls can be refrigerated for up to one week or frozen for up to three months.