In my opinion, Dr Pepper is underutilized in cocktails.
Of the 23 flavors that the brand promotes, cherry, vanilla, caramel, molasses, and pepper are all flavor profiles in bourbon.
How can a cocktail that features Dr Pepper be bad?
- 1 1/2 oz. Kentucky Bourbon
- 1/2 oz. Lemon Juice
- 2-3 Maraschino Cherries
- 1 Can of Dr Pepper
- Muddle 2-3 cherries in the base of the cocktail shaker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Add ice and shake until cold.
- Strain into a rocks glass.
- Top with ice and Dr Pepper.
From the beginning, the aroma of cherries and vanilla fill your nose. The soda does not mask the bourbon at all; if anything it enhances the natural flavor.
The lemon juice cuts down on the overall sweetness, but not by much. As good as this recipe is, I could only have one. The sugar content in the drink is off the charts. Overall, it is a good cocktail if you like Dr Pepper. If not, you may want to pass on this sweet drink.