Bourbon is a popular American whiskey known for its rich flavor and smooth character. If you’re starting to drink bourbon, here are some simple facts and hints to remember.
- Understand What Bourbon Is:
- Bourbon is a type of whiskey originating from the United States, with most of it produced in Kentucky.
- By law, bourbon must be made from at least 51% corn, distilled to no more than 160 proof (80% alcohol by volume), and aged in new, charred oak barrels. It cannot contain any additives, except water, to adjust proof.
- Choose Your Bourbon:
- Many bourbon brands and varieties are available, ranging from affordable options to premium selections. As a beginner, start with a well-regarded and reasonably-priced bourbon.
- Some popular bourbon brands include Maker’s Mark, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, and Evan Williams.
- Don’t go crazy buying expensive bourbons. Find out what you like and then go from there.
- Know How to Taste Bourbon:
- Tasting bourbon involves using your senses to appreciate its aroma, flavor, and overall character.
- Pour a small amount (around 1-2 ounces) of bourbon into a clean glass with a narrow opening, such as a Glencairn glass or a tumbler.
- Observe the color: Bourbon ranges from pale gold to deep amber, depending on age and barrel influence.
- Swirl the glass gently to release the aroma. Take a moment to inhale the scent, noting any hints of caramel, vanilla, oak, or spices.
- Sip Bourbon Slowly:
- Take a small sip and let it coat your palate. Don’t rush the experience.
- Note the initial flavors and how they evolve as you sip. Look for sweetness, spiciness, fruitiness, or other flavors.
- Bourbon often has a warm and lingering finish that can be quite enjoyable.
- Add Water or Ice (Optional):
- Some prefer adding a few drops of water or a single ice cube to their bourbon. This can slightly dilute the alcohol and open up different flavor profiles.
- It’s a matter of personal preference; experiment to find what you enjoy best.
- Explore Different Bourbons:
- As you become more familiar with bourbon, try different brands and expressions to discover your preferences.
- Bourbons vary significantly in flavor, some sweeter and others more robust or spicy.
- Enjoy Bourbon Responsibly:
- Bourbon has alcohol content, so drinking responsibly and in moderation is important.
- Don’t drink and drive, and be mindful of your limits.
- Learn the Terminology:
- Familiarize yourself with bourbon-related terminology such as mash bill (grain recipe), proof (alcohol content), and distillation (the process of making whiskey).
- Join a Bourbon Community:
- Consider joining a bourbon enthusiast group like theflightclub.com or forums where you can exchange knowledge and recommendations with fellow bourbon lovers.
- Have Fun:
- Enjoy the experience of exploring the world of bourbon. It’s a journey of discovery and appreciation of this classic American spirit.
Tasting bourbon is a personal experience, and there are no right or wrong ways to enjoy it. Find what suits your palate and savor the flavors and aromas of bourbon.
I hope this helps in carving your path to enjoying bourbon.
Click here for more Original Pours.