RD1 Spirits announces the first expansion of its Kentucky Straight Bourbon portfolio to continue writing the next chapter of Lexington Bourbon.RD1’s 110-proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished With Brazilian Amburana Wood and its 99.9-proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Double Finished In Oak and Maple Barrels join the two RD1 bourbons released in October 2022 (98-proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and 101-proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Finished With French Oak).
“RD1 is bent by curiosity to explore bourbon’s potential,” said Mike Tetterton, chief executive officer of RD1 Spirits, founded in 2020 to celebrate meaningful firsts in our lives. The RD1 brand pays tribute to Lexington’s first federally registered distillery, given the distinction of RD#1 in 1865. “RD1’s new wood-finished expressions can be summarized as classic Kentucky Straight Bourbon meets ‘what’s next.’ The result is a unique tasting experience that allows you to explore your palate and, what we like to call, the bourbon frontier.”
8th-generation Master Distiller Jacob Call crafted RD1’s Small Batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon portfolio and aged and bottled in the state. Within its portfolio, the now three wood-finished expressions all have the same base bourbon, aged over four years.
The three expressions then spent up to several months aging with wood staves or wood blocks placed inside the barrel. RD1 finished “to taste” to deliver a unique and memorable tasting experience.
RD1 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished with Brazilian Amburana Wood
(55% ALC/VOL, 110 Proof, 750 ML)
- About: Amburana, known as “Brazilian Oak”, is often used in South America for making essential oils, crafting luxury furniture, and barrel aging Brazil’s most popular spirit, Cachaça.
- Wood Finishing: RD1’s partner cooperage uses a patented technique to honeycomb drill small holes into the Amburana staves, allowing more wood surface interaction with the bourbon.
- Nose: The best of baking spices – apple cinnamon, nutmeg and light brown sugar – are followed by pine, vanilla, peaches, and apricots
- Taste: Flavor galore with spice cake and gingersnaps in a rich mouthfeel
- Finish: Long and warm, ending with allspice and sweet oak
RD1 Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Double Finished In Oak and Maple Barrels
(49.95% ALC/VOL, 99.9 Proof, 750 ML)
- Wood Finishing: The French Oak staves (first finish) are steeped in a patented process of pressure, oxygen, time and temperature with maple syrup (second finish). The molecular transfusion into the base fibers of the wood is artistic and intense.
- Nose: An undeniable burst of maple and butterscotch followed by lightly toasted caramel, roasted pecans and paprika
- Taste: A delicate dance of maple and black peppercorn spice
- Finish: Long, smooth and spicy with a light accent of toasted caramel at the end
Click here for more Bottle Releases.