The term “Wheated Bourbon” is a type of bourbon whiskey that uses a high percentage of wheat in its mash bill, in addition to corn and malted barley. The main components of a bourbon mash bill are corn, rye, and barley. However, in wheated bourbons, the rye content is replaced or reduced, and wheat becomes the secondary grain.
Regular bourbons typically have a higher percentage of rye, which adds spiciness and complexity to the flavor profile. On the other hand, wheated bourbons tend to be smoother, sweeter and sometimes exhibit more subtle flavors. The wheat contributes to a softer mouthfeel and can enhance the notes of caramel, vanilla, and fruitiness.
- Best Wheated Bourbons and Whiskeys
- Redemption Wheated Bourbon Whiskey
- Old Rip Van Winkle 10-Year Bourbon Whiskey
- Old Elk Straight Wheat Whiskey
- Whipper Snapper Wheat Australian Whisky
- WL Weller Special Reserve Bourbon Whiskey
- Journeyman Buggy Whip Wheat Whiskey
- Wyoming Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey
- Maker’s Mark Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky
- Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey
- Larceny Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey