The Old Fashioned is perhaps the best bourbon cocktail in the game. A great origin story, along with a fantastic cocktail. You can go to any bar in the world and ask for an Old Fashioned and the barkeep will know how to make it. There are several variations on this classic, but today we will take the Daily Meal’s list of the best bourbons to use. The list was comprised by Samuel Stone.
The list considered flavor profile, both individually and when combined with cocktail ingredients, alcohol by volume (ABV) percentage, and average retail price.
- Four Roses Single Barrel
- Wild Turkey 101
- Angel’s Envy Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- Buffalo Trace
- Woodford Reserve
- Maker’s Mark
- Elijah Craig Small Batch
- Eagle Rare 10 Year Old
- Evan Williams Black Label
- Early Times Bottled-in-Bond
- Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 Year
- Basil Hayden Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- Old Grand-Dad Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- Bulleit Straight Bourbon Frontier Whiskey
- Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon
Don’t kill the messenger on number 11. If I had a bottle, I would not waste it on an Old Fashioned.